Sunday, September 20, 2026

Wedding Rings

Did you know I still have my wedding rings from my 33 year marriage. I have them at my 225 5th Avenue, N.E., Dauphin, Manitoba house.

You can't imagine how 'gold' gets de-valued over time. I remember that the price of gold, in the year my rings were purchased, was very high. Those prices were, then, reflected in jewelry stores.

So, I chose a set of rings, at that time, that were identical in style... the wedding ring is always smaller than the engagement ring. They were both a solitaire with a fsh, or ichthys, on either side of the diamond. Well, it was the ichthys without the tails. This Christian symbol was believed to be the secret symbol, used by early Christians, to prove their Christianity. So, I was very happy to wear these rings which were purchased on April 4, 1981 at Ben Moss, 1501 Polo Park (this is the handwritten address on the receipt). I still have the clarity chart and purchase paper in a safe place. 

Isn't it interesting that I wore these rings for 33 years, the number of years Jesus walked the earth? The only reason that relationship fell apart was that I was still walking in the same direction as Christians have, for centuries, but my, then husband wanted to go with the drinking/ smoking crowd. So, our paths were diverging.

So, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with these rings. The original price was just $1145.00 before taxes... oh, but, they were on sale. I used the mathematical calculation for what those would be worth today and AI said... $4219.50 in 2026. 

I wonder who would pay me that amount for those rings. I doubt that anyone will but... you never know. Somebody should go see if they're at the pawn shop in Dauphin. That's right across from No Frills. I'm not saying my current husband pawned my stuff... I'm just saying they have that kind of stock, there.

So, people often wonder what their 'lifetime' possessions are worth... and, they may be worth a bit more than suggested by those trying to steal your stuff.

So, I'm sure my current husband is guarding and packing all my stuff for the safe trip to Winnipeg. All my jewelry I purchased, in Dauphin, came from the same store... a Christian family I met at a fundraiser at the church we attended for 9 months or so. The one ring I bought there said it was a topaz but it looks more like a cloudy aquamarine colour and one of the mini stones on the side has already fallen out... all my jewelry is still at 225 5th Avenue, N.E. in Dauphin, Manitoba. I actually purchased this ring from my inheritance money that my folks left me because my brother said I should buy myself a little something, from that, to remember my Mom and Dad. 

Oddly enough, those second marriages aren't nearly the same as first marriages.

In my current marriage, we purchased our own rings and we each paid for our own honeymoon, in England. 


I am trying to follow the advice Warren gave me... don't delete any of your photos... those are your history, dear.
Dearest Warren, 
If you have any travel, hiking plans... please leave a key to the house in care of the church we attended so they can help me get my stuff... Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment