Sunday, September 27, 2026

My Novel Inventory

I am the sole proprietor of my novel 

The Orchard Walk El Dueck

and the inventory I have produced and curated for over 15 years now.                                                 

My inventory list is quite extensive because of all the little things that I collected, like brooches, and military items that I purchased to sell... I purchased them from antique dealers in Winnipeg, well, quite a few years ago. My project is ongoing... started over 15 years ago. 

It takes quite a long time to make one quilt. It certainly takes tons of time to complete 17-20 quilts and have some fronts done, waiting for me to get to finishing those.

I have a ton of photos I took of my quilts on my Grandmothers' blue stool from the early 1920's. It's one of those heirlooms that isn't worth anything to someone who isn't in my family but the sentimental memory quotient value is substantial as a symbol of the European migration of a Dutch family to Canada. I,  took these photos, very recently, in front of the gazebo.

My really old two suitcases, one that has a 'Holland' shipping label, Holland being the country that my family migrated from, is another 'touch base' of collection that I purchased from a flea market about 25 years ago. I keep all my income tax paperwork in one of them... I know my husband will keep very good watch over all my possessions.

I actually did my husband a huge favour, when I moved to 225, in Dauphin. He was 7 years behind in his taxes so I went through container after container in the basement. It was a huge mess. I organized everything, found old cheques he hadn't cashed, put those in a file... kept reminding him to get them re- issued. I was really amazing in organizing. I didn't used to be good at that but, a previous love, that passed away, had been behind 10 years in his income taxes so, it wasn't my first 'rodeo.'

I know that my husband, Warren, would never sell anything that I own because he is very careful about keeping his personal belongings separate from mine.

If Warren wished to donate to my project for novel II, he may want to photocopy a dinner invitation from 'The Hotel Fort Garry' that was called... 'Wolf something..., it was a dinner for a bunch of old vets that made it back from a war (all passed away now, of course). 

We were, absolutely, careful about that.

I think Warren has to ask the courts' permission for quite a lot of things. He knows he isn't allowed to go through any of my belongings. I am waiting for him to be given permission to contact me so I can go get all my 'stuff.'

I trust he will be allowed to contact me this week as I have already paid for one month of Access Storage, Winnipeg East Kildonan, and I am paying for the next month on Tuesday- ish. 

I was very helpful in making sure all the old photographs from his lineage were preserved in 'Rubbermaid' containers and, wasn't that good thinking on my part, with the flood that destroyed so many basements, in Dauphin, this year? 

So, as soon as he calls, I am arranging for a truck to get all my stuff so I can 'keep working' on my dearly loved project.




This is the old suitcase, with Holland shipping label... I have two suitcases, same style, one smaller than that other.
Here's a picture of one of my 12 pair of boots I have been wearing for 25 years. Thank goodness my boots are well worn to my arthritic feet so I am anxiously awaiting all of them for walking comfort. 

I purchased this from my inventory after going to England. One thing I really wish had been a lot longer... Warren's youngest son arranged our trip and I would have stayed three weeks instead of one if I had been given more of a say in the matter. This is the only trip I will likely ever make 'across the pond' so it is very important to me.
I made this cushion cover years ago, from fabric I purchased at Mitchell Fabrics... when they were still open.
This old Ralph Lauren, Denim Supply jacket is hanging on my hook in my bedroom, at 225.

My Rule 25
My personal life philosophy is that... after the age of 55, when people get re- married, there is no such thing as 'stepchildren,' especially when the four of his, and the three of hers, are all over the age of 25.
Did you know that, in Canadian income taxes, if your children are 'dependents,' living for free under your roof, you or they can only claim 'tuition fees' up to the age of 25?
So, even adulthood is, somewhat, dictated, by government standards.


My little green- ish rug, which I kept under or beside my bedroom armoire, with old 'crewel- work' look, is an heirloom I hope Warren will be careful with. It was a gift I gave to mother, when she was alive, and now it is my memory of her and Dad and how they used this little 2'x3' rug. I bought that when I was working at a store that sold that item.

So, I'm sure the delay isn't intentional. I really do need to move all my stuff this week so I don't run into icy roads.
Call as soon as you can.







No comments:

Post a Comment