Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Important

What is important? Well, the older I get the more I know what is important to me... and, ironically, those things have never changed for me.
Every day I get emails that are marked 'important.' Some days they feel important, some days they don't feel important at all. On a day that my eyesight really can't read them on my phone... those emails fade into 'not important' faster than you can imagine. Obviously, emails have the neutral capacity and neutral presence to be important or not on any given day.
One time I tried to argue that 'everything is important,' actually. This one man responded to me, "Well, if everything is important, then nothing is important."
That answer just kind of made me crazy because I saw too many holes in that.
I know people need to prioritize significance and a feeling of contribution has to be, somehow, conferred to people in all walks of life at every level of positive contribution... unless you wish to do everything by yourself... and I do not find that to be at all fun or happy- life- making.
I had another interesting thing said to me this summer by an older gentleman. I was discussing my relationships with him. He was old enough and experienced, like a father figure, to be able to give me some opinions. After listening to me a little while he suddenly says, "Surely you're not that old fashioned that you need to married... in this day and age."
"Yes," I said, "that is important to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment