Thursday, February 7, 2019

Perfecting Love

In my studies I came across the Scripture that speaks of the Holy Spirit as 'seven spirits' even though the Holy Spirit is also spoken of as one spirit. So, my question, and if I had ever heard a sermon that described this I would not have wondered about it but, I did not have the answer to what the purpose of the 'seven spirits' is. Biblically, seven is considered the number of completion or perfection. This question has been on my mind for the last while and I think I came up with one answer this morning. Revelation 4:5 talks about the the seven spirits being 'seven torches of fire.' The last few months have been a very painful spiritual experience for me... I've been going it alone... well, with God, I suppose one must say. I have really wondered why it is so painful. I think this might be an answer... if God is trying to perfect anything or anyone... it is likely to be painful.
I used to be a perfectionist until I was so berated for this that I gave that up. It put way too  much pressure on people. The end result of a project was much better with this perfectionism but the process was very difficult and painful.
Now, I have never met a perfect human and I do not believe there is one or ever will be one. I also had a new opinion of perfectionism when a man I admired for his fine perfectionistic work, and was hired for that reason, one day said to me... "It's good enough."
This was a new standard for the man and I had a questioning look on my face that then elicited a story as to why work is acceptable when it is 'good enough'.
In this world and for the next is the tension that always seems to exist in each decision, work, plan, and in particular, motive.
As a Christian, everything we do is done in this world for the next world.
One thing makes sense to me now... we must let go of perfectionism while striving to be perfect and trying to live in a relaxed tension of getting things done.
With the quilt, pictured above, the one thing I was really happy with was the window... I wanted it to look like glass. That is hard to do with fabric but I got it just right and when the light hits it,... it really looks like glass. If you've ever worked with real glass... painful, sharp, and you're always getting little cuts that really hurt. So, the person working with real glass experiences the pain until the window is in and it looks so beautiful in its setting and reflects the light so dramatically.
When God is trying to perfect us, it is painful because He is perfect and we are flawed. There is going to be a bit of a clash and it will probably feel abrasive which it certainly has lately.
Perfecting love is a hard job and only God is perfect at it. Submitting to the process is not hard if one understands that is what the pain is all about.
So, if the seven spirits are torches of fire... refining is going to be painful, yes?
The goal and aim of Christianity is our process of perfecting love... the first two commandments, right?
My experience... it's hard but worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment