Tuesday, March 5, 2019

What is pleasing?

So, I had a power start morning. How was yours?
I read the  most encouraging few words this morning. I will try to shorten the original writers' words to simplify his meaning, as I understand it and have experienced it. Personal experience, after all, is often accredited as the stamp of authenticity to the individual.
'You cannot escape ultimate and permanent happiness as you grow on and on. The more sensitive you grow the more clearly you will see the law that leads away from pain and ever toward happiness where all sense of time is lost when we are deeply interested or engaged in something.'
I experience much body pain but also much body healing. I do not know why it is so for me. I asked my son the other day if he did not experience and feel healing in his body but he said he did not feel it. Maybe it happens for others differently. It seems we all experience life in a unique way. Maybe healing happens for some while they are unaware of it and they just get up and go to a very physically demanding job and are able to do it. This would be impossible for me but it works for him.
Yesterday, my arthritis was so out of control I shut down everything but my attention to a specific task of finishing this quilt. Without any pain medication during a full and even considered overtime day for workers who have a job and get paid, I worked with determination and a set goal and have it almost complete. When the mind and the will focus together a task gets done and, when I am enjoying the project, the result is my yet greater enjoyment.
I never actually know how a quilt will turn out because I create as I go along. Until yesterday I did not know what the back of this cabin quilt would be but I try many combinations until I get something I like... this often involves limited supplies and the requirement to be even more creative all the time as I am required to combine materials for just the right mix of soft, hard, and clarity.
I could live in that mystical place in the woods that brings me much peace. This is why I often walk in the forest. But, I don't get much done in that mystical haze so the navy and white crosses fabric is representational of my logical side... sometimes uncompromising logical side but I can get a lot done when I hit that mood. Something clicks and I can make decisions one after another after another...
but it always starts with that 'Love' word... it just inspires me.
  People who build things must get tons of satisfaction from what they do... or, people who enjoy what they do just get tons of satisfaction.
I enjoy pleasing... I really do... even in the smallest little things. I got an adorable little compliment from a finicky little eater the other day.
"This is the best chocolate thing I've ever tasted," he said, as he munched on my cream cheese brownies.
I don't need or desire fame but to please a little person in such a small way. I enjoy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment